Sunday 11 November 2012

Pre-PC Preparations

It's difficult to prepare yourself for a major life change, to appreciate electricity and running hot water in all its glory. I spent a wonderful six weeks (between moving back from Australia, and spending a month séjour in France) at home trying to prepare for a 27-month service project in Uganda (keyword: trying).
The most important thing I found was not actually running to Target, or checking last-minute lists, but spending as much time as possible with the ones I love. We threw a fabulous going-away party, probably with the most random theme ever imagined. It was a "Downton Abbey-meets-Thanksgiving-meets-Uganda"...pretty awesome. Our gorgeous friends and family arrived all dolled up like the beloved characters from Downton Abbey, and we said our goodbyes for now. I'll be back in two years!
Unfortunately it could be goodbye forever with my grandmother, who suffered a stroke two months ago and wasn't well my last week at home. I couldn't think of a worse time to lose a relative, especially one that has been such a huge influence in my life. But then I think, perhaps it is a good time for her leave this world and on to another. At least I got to spend time with her before we both leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment