Saturday 1 December 2012

Just a little update...

I thought I would take advantage of the free WiFi here in Kampala, and the ten free minutes before heading back to site to write a little update about my life here. We are currently in school-based training, week 1, at a Primary teacher's college. We're doing a crash course in teaching: methods, classroom management skills, critical thinking and how to teach Uganda style. The program is new, and we're test-driving this program that focuses on improving literacy in Ugandan primary schools. It's a very exciting time and I'm thrilled to be a part of it. Monday we begin practice-teaching at a local school, and I can't wait to meet the kids! I've made my own book out of grain sacks I sewed together, and I can't wait to read it to my second grade class.
Ugandans are lovely people, they are so warm and welcoming, and have some of the most beautiful smiles I've ever seen!
It's rainy season here in Ugandan, so the day starts off sunny until the big storm clouds roll in around 2pm and wreak havoc across the land. Yesterday we got caught in the rain after buying a favourite "Stoney" ginger beer, and had the run all the way back in the pouring rain, slipping and sliding through there muddy roads.
This is one of many "Welcome to Uganda" moments!
In a few weeks, we'll relocate again to our homestay families to learn one of 6 languages in our groups (there are over 54!)
Well, that's it for now. No malaria, and no worms...yet.










No comments:

Post a Comment