Sunday 20 January 2013

Swearing-In: Here’s to the next two years!


      On Thursday 17 January the US Ambassador to Uganda Scott DeLisi swore 45 Peace Corps Trainees in as Volunteers at his residence in Kampala. We had lovely ceremony with oodles of speeches (Ugandans love love love speeches), including a few from our very own Volunteers. My friend Ellen read us “Oh, The Places You’ll Go” which instead of sounding trite, resonated well with the entire group. We spent the last four days in Kampala for the end of training and the Supervisor’s Workshop, in which we discussed the PCV’s role in the primary/secondary school. Things didn’t go as smoothly as I’d hoped, but I think my supervisor has a clearer idea of what my role will be at the primary school. On Friday we headed back to Kabale district for a brutal 8-hr drive on bumpy, dusty roads, with both me and Caitlin sick in the back with food poisoning. My house is not yet finished, so I will be staying with Caitlin on the PTC (Primary Teachers’ College). It’s a lovely little bungalow nestled in the hills, right next to my primary school. It is very simple, no running water, a pit latrine out back and faint electricity, but lovely and right for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment